Monday, May 26, 2008

Elkhart, Indiana Years Ago

Note: Double Click on Photos to enlarge.

Memorial Day, 2008 is a day to remember those who have passed on. This day was always special for my mom and dad. They would usually take me to the Baugo Cemetery north of Wakarusa to plant flowers and groom the grave site of my grandma & grandpa Yoder and Freed. I didn't always want to go but leaned to help and check other tombstones for relatives. I didn't realize this was an important way to remember where I came from. Today we've moved far away from these memories and I seldom see their tombstones but I well remember right where they are. Our kids don't know the exact locations of their ancestors. Maybe someday they'll go looking for these memories. My dad, Edgar was 72 when he passed. You can see how young I was as we chatted in Elkhart, Indiana.

1 comment:

tammy m. said...

Like Grandma & Grandpa Freed, I too, honor my parents by going to the cemetery and caring for their graves this time of year. I remember my mom going and when she was not able to plant the flowers, I did it for her under her direction. I trust my kids realize how important this is to me. I am thankful for the heritage my parents and grandparents have left for me.